Stefan GP “says sorry” to FIA and FOM, promises to keep quiet for now

Stefan GP has taken a conciliatory approach in the latest statement on its website. After a barely disguised attack on the FIA on Friday the team has now issued a further message with a less aggressive tone.

The team name checked not just the FIA but also Bernie Ecclestone’s FOM organisation in a statement that recognised that its entry can only happen with the consent of those two bodies.

The team’s statement read as follows: “SGP would like to re-confirm its desire and, importantly, its ability to compete in the whole of the FIA 2010 Formula One World Championship.

“It recognises that this can only happen with the consent of the FIA and the FOM, but has faith that the Formula One ‘family’ will make the correct decision in the end.

“There will be no more press releases on this subject and we look forward to being allowed to show everyone our team in Bahrain.”

The reference to the F1 ‘family’ is a clear attempt to persuade rival teams that they should not attempt to block a late entry from Stefan. Intriguingly this statement featured rather better English than its predecessor, which might lead cynics to suggest that the team had some help in drafting it…

There has been no obvious progress on the story over the weekend, and no further news from the FIA. However, clearly things will have to move quickly next week.

Much obviously depends on how the FIA responds to Charlie Whiting’s report of his visit to US F1 last week, which will have provided some indication of the current state of play in Charlotte.

There are two elements in the 2010 FIA F1 Sporting Regulations which could have some bearing on what happens next. The first applies to potential entrants for the championship:

“With the exception of those whose cars have scored points in the Championship of the previous year, applicants must supply information about the size of their company, their financial position and their ability to meet their prescribed obligations.”

It’s not clear whether it still has relevance to teams such as US F1 that have been accepted but not actually participated yet, but it could be argued that teams in such a situation have a duty to keep the FIA truthfully informed of their situation and any changes. However, it would also clearly apply to any formal application from Stefan.

Another paragraph which could have some relevance reads as follows: “If in the opinion of the F1 Commission a competitor fails to operate his team in a manner compatible with the standards of the Championship or in any way brings the Championship into disrepute, the FIA may exclude such competitor from the Championship forthwith.”

Again this might be considered relevant if US F1 is deemed to not have reached an acceptable standard. The Sporting Regulations do of course also confirm that teams have to take part in all events, and Ken Anderson has already admitted that he’s asked if the team can miss the first four races.

6 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

6 responses to “Stefan GP “says sorry” to FIA and FOM, promises to keep quiet for now

  1. jim

    “Ken Anderson has already admitted that he’s asked if the team can miss the first four races.”

    Is that true? Varsha said he talked to Craw and reported on last weeks SPEED Report that Anderson merely asked the FIA for clarification of the rules.
    Who’s right???

  2. F1 Kitteh

    I think Zorro is actually quite a good replacement for the missing Flav, seems like a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve. I can imagine that Mr. E is trying very hard to contain Zorro’s ‘enthusiasm’ in the background…..”Trust me let me handle this okay?”

  3. John

    New news that USF1 is asking to delay until 2011? Also SpeedTV is reporting that Campos will not make the first race? Granted I fear Campos has some really hard work ahead, but this is news to me.

    Nice to see this from Stefan honestly, now I wonder if Ferrari will act in the same manner? They were brash towards many (granted Ferrari is my team), I was caught off guard by their remarks.

  4. elephino

    If a team turns up to a race with a car that doesn’t pass scrutineering…does that count as turning up or do they have to start a practice session?

  5. Prisoner Monkeys

    If the reports of USF1 asking for permission to defer their entry until 2011 are true, and if the FIA grant that permission, could Stefan by granted a special injunction to compete in 2010? There’s questions over the long-term stability of the project, with eyebrows being raised over how they fund their team and what their plans for post-2010 will be. Give them a year and let them show their stuff. If they’re good, let them stay; if not, then no harm no, foul. We’d have twenty-six cars in 2010, and twenty-eight in 2011, though it wouldn’t surprise me if a team like Toro Rosso departed after this season.

  6. And now we know the answer to some of the questions asked.

    Time is the teller of all things, good and bad.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s