The Force India team is set to skip FP2 in Bahrain so that the crew can head home from the circuit early – possibly even before darkness falls at 1800.
In effect if they start preparations for FP3 now they gain four hours.
On Wednesday night four team members were involved in an incident that saw a firebomb land near their vehicle. Two team members have subsequently returned home.
In order to alleviate the fears of the others, the team has taken the decision – clearly with the support of the drivers – to sacrifice the session. Nico Hulkenberg and Paul Di Resta both ran the option tyre in the morning session in order to give the team some information.
Bernie Ecclestone visited Force India’s hospitality building today and met with deputy team principal Bob Fernley.
Although he stopped short of confirming that the cars would not run at all, hinting that the team may yet do a few laps, Fernley said there had been a “rescheduling,” adding that the team was committed to running in the race on Sunday.
“We’re looking at it from the point of view of the well being and comfort of everybody,” he said.